Marco Polo was a famous explorer, Venetian Merchant and a writer who travelled through Asia between 1271 and 1295.
- Marco Polo died in his house in Venice, January 8th 1324. As he was dying in his home, family, friends and fans of his book tried to get Polo to admit that his book was fiction and not real. However Polo wouldn’t relent.
- Polo wasn’t the first European to travel to Asia.
- Before Marco Polos 2nd expedition to China with his dad and uncle, he barely knew them before (As they were travelling together when he was born).
- 6 years after Marco Polo was born (1260) his mother died.
- 1300 Marco polo got married to Donata Badoer.
- He was only 17 when he first started travelling.
- Marco Polo travelled 15,000 miles in the years he was travelling (25.)
- He introduced Europe to the concept of paper money.
- Polo thought Rhinoceros were unicorns.
- There is a species of sheep named after Marco Polo…
- Christopher Coloumbus was inspired by Polo and even brought a copy of his book on his travels.
- Polo was Italian.
- Marco Polo stayed in China for 17 years with his Dad and Uncle.
- Polo had 3 daughters.
- His book was printed in 3 different languages- French, Italian and Latin.